Saturday, December 24, 2016

12 Days of Christmas Blogging - Day 11


It's Christmas Eve! Can you believe it? Time is going by so fast. I hope you are all having a wonderful day - and that you are making memories with your friends and family. That is what I plan to do. Every year, my mom and I spend Christmas Eve baking up a storm. We take care of any last minute details (like presents that still need to be wrapped and newly purchased decorations that need a home) and start baking. We usually decorate a gingerbread house, make cookies, cake, and Rice Krispie Squares. Then we decorate them all with coloured icing, sprinkles, and holiday themed sugar pieces. It is always fun seeing how our creations turn out. Since I am still doing the "12 Days of Christmas Blogging" challenge, I bring you Day 11....

Day 11: What Was Your Favourite Childhood Christmas Present

Of all the things I love most about the holiday season....gifts are low down on the list. Sure, I love getting new things. I love it. But when I think back on all of the Christmases past, I can barely remember the items I was given. (Save for a few standouts like a life-sized ballet doll, a Furbie, and a ginormous stuffed Lion King animal.) It was the magic of being with my family and celebrating together that stands out in my mind. Not the presents under the tree.

That being said? There is one Christmas gift that I will never forget. I was 14 at the time. A few months before, my family and I had gone to Chapters. There was a stuffed Dogbert (from the Dilbert comics) sitting on a shelf. It was love at first sight. I absolutely needed this adorable little Dogbert in my life. My parents said no. So for the next several months, I would cut out pictures of Dogbert from the newspaper and leave them in my dad's briefcase. I would draw pictures and leave them around the house. I essentially annoyed the heck out my parents.

My dad eventually told me that Chapters was totally sold out of Dogberts. But they would be getting more in stock in January. I was devastated but hopeful that come January, there would be a Dogbert in my life. Imagine my surprise on Christmas morning when I opened a round soft package. There he was. All white and fluffy and perfect. My Dogbert! I swear, it was one of the happiest moments of my life. It sounds a little silly, but I knew the moment I saw him in the store, that Dogbert and I were meant to be. I didn't have a lot of friends at school. I got bullied a lot. And I felt really isolated. Knowing that I could come home and have a friend waiting for me? It helped.

Ever since then, my Dogbert has been by my side. Yes, even today! He has travelled with me, watched movies with me, and been my closest companion. Needless to say, I will never forget that Christmas.

What Christmas present was your childhood favourite?

xo Shannon

2 comments:

  1. That's so awesome! It's so fun that he still stays with you today. The one that really stands out to me was when I was 6 or so and really wanted to by a teacher and I got a whole teacher kit - it was huge and had everything.

    ReplyDelete