Monday, October 3, 2016

a good book stays with you.


It is easy to get lost in the shuffle of everyday life. There are to do lists to tackle and responsibilities to consider. By the time the day is done? You are wipes. Exhausted. Thinking of nothing but a blissfully deep sleep. Let's face it.....with so much on our plates these days, reading often takes a back seat. Who has time in this go-go-go society to sit and read a book? Not a lot of people. Despite time constraints and a hectic schedule, reading has managed to remain an integral part of my life. Especially over the last several months. I have been doing everything I can to make time for this joyous activity. Which brings me to the heart of this post. Some recent reads have inspired me in ways I never imagined. They made me think, feel, and grow. They are....

Jane Fonda: My Life So Far. The thing about autobiographies? Some are phenomenal and some are so-so. It depends whether the author is willing to be raw and real or if they want to stay on the surface. When I found Jane Fonda's biography at a thrift store, I was excited. Thrilled, even. I could not wait to learn more about my fitness guru. Not knowing much about her life (apart from the fact that she was an actress and workout queen), I went into this blind. But boy....were my eyes opened. She shared deeply emotional stories about her childhood, feelings of self, toxic relationships, and so much more. I felt deeply connected to her story. In a way, it felt good to know I was not alone. That even the great Jane Fonda struggled to make sense of herself. It was a heart-wrenching, educational, and inspirational read. One that stayed with me long after the last line.

Where Am I Now? by Mara Wilson. One of my favourite Christmas movies is Miracle on 34th Street. The re-make, not the original. Mrs. Doubtfire and Matilda were some of my favourite films growing up. Needless to say, Mara Wilson was a very big part of my childhood. So when I heard that she had written a book....I made a trip to the bookstore. Immediately. I could not wait to read her story. What I never could have guessed is how much this book would affect me. She spoke of her anxiety and OCD. Of her time on film sets. Of first loves and friendships. Of her mother's death. (The latter literally moved me to tears.) By the time I finished reading? I had found a part of myself. A part I never knew I was missing. She was always my idol growing up. Turns out, she still is.

You Are a Badass by Jen Sincero. Confession: I love a good self help book. They force you to think about your life (the good and the not so good) and really focus on areas that you want to improve. Recently, my friend gave me You Are a Badass: How To Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living An Awesome Life. I knew this book was going to be good thanks to the witty writing and the authors sharp tongue. What I didn't expect is how much it would make me think. How many positive emotions it would bring out. While I am not finished yet (though I am certainly working on it), this book simply needed to be part of this list. There was a chapter about source energy that was particularly moving and information about the sub-conscious that profoundly affected me. Not to mention, this quote:

"If you are depressed, you are living in the past. 
If you are anxious, you are living in the future. 
If you are at peace, you are living in the present." 

Books matter. Words matter. Reading matters. If nothing else, I hope this post inspires you to pick up a paperback and fall into another world. 

What have you read lately? Do you have a favourite book?

xo Shannon

5 comments:

  1. This is very nice, I luv it
    http://www.melodyjacob.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting books Dear, have to read it:)
    kisses

    http://irreplaceable-fashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice choice! Recently I'm not really reading.. :( Earlier I used to read more.

    Best regards, Anna <3

    annax1303.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting post https://bysinkj.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete